Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Hash Roulade with Roasty Veg

Tonight we are having hash roulade with roasty veg. I had a couple pieces of steak laguishing in my fridge that needed to be used, but I believe in getting more bang for your buck. Instead of cooking one steak for each of us and ending the meal wishing for more, I am making the meat stretch.

Start with thin steaks. I cut mine thin from very thick steaks. Lay them out so they slightly overlap and are in a rough rectangle. Pound them out even thinner and to an even thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Layer  very thinly sliced potato all over this layer. I used a mandoline to get very thin, see-through slices. Toss a handful or two of bell pepper all over the potato. I had some cooked, seasoned turkey to use up, so after dusting the whole thing with parmesan cheese, I stuck a cup and a half of turkey at one end and rolled it up. The best method to keep the meat in a roulade shape is to tie it with butchers twine, but a thorough search of the house revealed no butchers twine to be found, so skewers are my second choice of holding it all together. I refrigerated it in saran wrap after coating it with spices (I used salt, pepper, chili pepper, and thyme). Now it is roasting with mushrooms, cauliflower, onions, a tomato, and curry-coated plantain.

I wish I had taken some pictures as I was preparing the meal, but alas, with my Soux Chef, Chef Gerrard Jr. running underfoot (literally) I was hard-pressed to even make dinner tonight, let alone find the camera to document it.

Lucky you, though, you get to see it as it goes into the oven!

Roudale chilling in the fridge before roasting

Plantains hanging out in a flour/curry/oil mixture, waiting for the roasting pan

Tossing it all into the oven!


I may add the turkey and yam creamy soup from last night as a sauce toward the end of the cooking time, but I plan on playing it by ear - or by nose - at that point.

Thanks for checking out what's going on my rural table tonight!

EDITED TO ADD: Finished product! Delicious! I added that yam soup halfway through and it made it a very tasty dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment