Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Chicken, Parmesan Potatoes, Asparagus, and Apple Cider in the Fall

A few days ago, my husband, in his infinite desire to be helpful, pulled a TON of meat out of the freezer, but then didn't get it cooked before going back to work this week. SO! Today I roasted a bunch of turkey and chicken! I made some Parmesan potatoes and pan fried some asparagus and garlic cloves to go with it, and got some rolls at the store just to round it all out. Following are my photos of the first nice, sit-down dinner we've had in a while. My camera is about 9 years old, and I never learned how to use it properly, so sorry if the lighting is crappy!


A somewhat good view of the dinner table. Sunflowers in a big jar just seemed like the right decoration for a chicken and potato dinner. I do wish I had a more impressive backdrop instead of my bike, the front porch, and the neighbor's truck...




Crispy roasted chicken on my Grandma's Corelle-Ware platter. I know most people who want to live longer than 40 take the skin off and stick to the meat, but not this girl! I live for that crispy, salty, seasoned chicken skin!


Ah, the asparagus. I always struggle with explaining certain cooking methods. Braised? Nooo.... Sautéed?  No, way too much butter for that! Basically, I dropped several garlic cloves into my frying pan, flung a huge hunk of butter in there, then tossed in the cleaned asparagus, salt and pepper, and moved it around until everything was tender.
Roasted potatoes with Parmesan, salt, pepper, garlic, and olive oil. You gotta have potatoes at a meal like this, that's what fills the men-folk up!



Yeah, I bought these at the store. 'Nuff said.



Because country style dinners deserve a country style centerpiece!

Served on my Grandma's everyday dishes that I sort of stole on my last trip to Washington State... Real apple cider served with dinner was fabulous!


Well, that was dinner tonight. I kind of threw it together at the last moment, but it turned out great! We save our chicken and turkey bones and boil them into soup stock. Right now they are in the freezer, waiting for a good rainy day to stick them into the crockpot with some rough cut veggies. Maybe I'll get ambitious and actually make my own rolls next time!

Do any of you make your own broth or stock for soup? Has anyone else claimed their Grandmother's (or Grandfather's) things for themselves, just because they are full of memories?

No comments:

Post a Comment