Friday, September 14, 2012

Mexican Casserole and Yummy Coffee

Rural living can be difficult. Now, let me say right away, for you locals reading this blog, I do hesitate to call this town "rural" because I have lived in much more rural locations than here.

That said, my town has a Safeway grocery store, a couple gas stations, three bars, and fourteen churches for its 4,032 residents. We also have a health food store, a daycare, a community college, a hospital and clinic, and a large harbor.

The reason that rural living can be difficult is that food is often not fresh and the food that is worth buying is typically very expensive. Someday I'll post pictures of the prices we have here. So, when you have limited options for fresh eating, you tend to stock up at Costco whenever you go to town. When you stock up at Costco, you buy canned food. Last night was a canned food dinner, but it was pretty flippin' delicious if you ask me! (Or my husband who had thirds.)


Rice and bean casserole. I spread two cans of refried beans on the bottom, cooked rice over that, a can of kidney beans and a can of olives over that, then poured a can of tomato sauce and some hot sauce sprinkled throughout. Topped it with cheese and jalapenos, and baked it. We ate it with diced avocado, and it was beyond delicious. I was hard-pressed to save any for our lunches today.

This morning I woke up early enough to make choco-nut muffins in pretty little flowered paper cups for breakfast. Fresh from the oven is the best way to enjoy these muffins. I can type in a recipe if anyone is interested!

This is my typical cup of coffee in the morning, made at home. I've been talking about it a lot lately, so I thought I'd show it off. When the sprinkles melt, they look like fireworks on clouds!


Today I felt like tie-dye butterflies instead of my typical sprinkles though. Dessert for breakfast, YUM!

Well, I hope you all like the pictures, and I hope you all have a tie-dye butterfly sprinkle day!

No comments:

Post a Comment