Sunday, September 9, 2012

Introductions

I thought I'd open with a few photos of some tablescapes, meals, and dining treasures I've played with in the past.



A springtime tablescape. Sure, it's nothing fabulous, but remember, this is The RURAL Table! I use what I have and make an enjoyable meal of it. If I remember correctly, this dinner was home made egg drop soup, sushi rolls, and spicy stir fry. I love how my napkins match my bouquet of flowers!

This was probably what I served that spring day. But now it's mid-September, and my mind has turned to other deliciously naughty dinners, with lots of butter, cream, extra virgin olive oil, home made bread, squash, and the like.

 Ah, creamy home made potato soup in bread bowls topped with homegrown chives! An autumn treat. Of course, squash is a mainstay in our home once it hits the produce section.

 Roasting two onions, a shallot, garlic, and butternut squash topped with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. After the long, slow roast, the soft and caramelized flesh was poured into the blender with some chicken broth and pureed, then simmered until perfect. So good, so simple, and one of my favorite parts of autumn, as long as it's paired with some great chunks of bread.

 I love using real pumpkin instead of canned. For these muffins, I roasted and mashed a *real* pumpkin, then mixed it and some raisins into my basic muffin recipe. I made cream cheese frosting, and realized (As this was my first time using home made cream cheese frosting) that it's better to frost when things are absolutely cool... But glittery leaves on toothpicks make any frosting challenges disappear, right?!


I should introduce you all to my husband, Chef Gerrard. He's the one that took me from boxed macaroni and ramen to gourmet living. Here he stands with our friend from church, posing with their freshly made truffles, last year. I should also mention that right now, there are 180 truffles packed and prepared to sell on a shelf in our cool room. Until you have assisted in the making of 180 truffles, you will never understand how much 180 truffles is.



Well, that about covers the introductions, next time I come, I'll bring pictures or stories of my kitchen and dining joys. I'll leave you with a picture of me in the macaroni ramen years... so sad... 

~Treasa Eire

2 comments:

  1. I still like boxed macaroni. Only if it's spirals or shells though! LOL~Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! With ten kids, you gotta like it at least once in a while!

      Delete